Having a bright smile has never been easier thanks to the numerous tooth whitening options available, both at a dentist’s office and at home. But a common side effect to this type of treatment can be tooth sensitivity. The dentists at Las Vegas Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry strive to not only have your teeth looking their best, but feeling their best during and after tooth whitening treatments. Our skilledLas Vegas cosmetic dentistry professionals give each patient thorough care and evaluation during each treatment and follow through to ensure optimum post-treatment care.
Why Tooth Whitening Can Cause Sensitivity
Bleach is a powerful agent and the same potency that can turn teeth pearly white can also cause sensitivity to the tooth and gums. Each tooth has many tiny tubes that stretch from the tooth nerve to the exterior of the tooth and each tube has a plug to prevent the movement of fluid inside the tube that causes sensitivity. Bleaching agents can erode those plugs, making teeth more likely to be sensitive. Other people are genetically prone to tooth sensitivity, while others may have cracked or eroded tooth enamel that can also cause pain after tooth whitening.
How to Ease Tooth Sensitivity
Fortunately, there are several options to help with sensitivity after a tooth whitening treatment.Cosmetic dentists, such as those at Las Vegas Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry, have a number of tools we can use, and we can advise patients on other practices they can use at home to keep their teeth in optimal condition.
Among these tools:
- Desensitizing agents that can be applied in office, as well as desensitizing toothpastes that can be prescribed or bought over the counter. Options include fluoride and potassium nitrate.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen, which can help inflammation.
- Avoidance of very hot or cold drinks after a treatment – they can increase sensitivity.
- If using an at-home treatment, make sure to use lower levels of hydrogen peroxide and stick to the recommended treatment time. Because formulations in at-home kits can be hard to gauge, it’s best to undergo tooth whitening with a seasoned professional.
- Keep your teeth in top shape year-round by flossing regularly and going for regular dental checkups. Less wear and tear on tooth enamel means less chances for sensitivity.
Because tooth sensitivity can be a normal by-product of tooth whitening treatments, there is no need to worry if you are under the care of a trained dentist. One of ourLas Vegas restorative dentists can answer any of your questions about these treatments, carefully administer and oversee the bleaching process, and be available for post-care questions or concerns.
Contact Our Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentistry Practice
Our dental practice specializes in giving patients bright and healthy smiles. This may include tooth whitening, and if it does, our staff is committed to the highest-quality care during the treatment process to ensure it is as pain-free as possible. If you are considering tooth whitening, we encourage you tocontact our office today to schedule an initial consultation to learn about your options.